No matter which culture or what holiday, celebrations with family and friends almost always revolve around FOOD!
Here’s two of my favourite recipes that are delicious, nutritious, and vegetarian.
Best Baked Sweet Potatoes
Super simple, and naturally sweet.
READY IN: About 1 hour.
SERVES: Cook 1 potato per guest
- Preheat oven to 425º. Meanwhile, wash your sweet potatoes.
Scrub the skin lightly before preparing.
- Line your baking sheet with foil, parchment paper or reusable liner.
Sweet potatoes tend to get a little juicy while baking, so lining the baking sheet first ensures an easy clean up.
- Poke holes in them.
The pricking technique is always used when baking potatoes as it reduces baking time and ensures the potatoes won’t burst.
- Bake until tender.
Sweet potatoes can take anywhere from 45-60 minutes to cook, depending on their size. They are done when you stick a fork into the thickest part of the potato and you don’t feel resistance.
- Let cool, then split the tops open with a knife, and serve with butter and add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Basic Brussels with Balsamic
Cruciferous vegetables like brussels are packed with nutrients!
READY IN: 30 mins
1 1/2 lbs Brussels Sprouts
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cloves of Garlic peeled and sliced
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced thinly
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP Butter
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Trim off the stems, clean well and remove any limp leaves from the Brussels sprouts. Mark each brussel on the bottom with an ‘X’ using a paring knife. Blanch the sprouts in boiling water to cover for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking.
- Heat a large frying and add olive oil, garlic,and onion. Saute for a few minutes until the onion just becomes tender. Add the blanched drained Brussels sprouts. Saute for a few minutes until the Brussels sprouts are cooked to your liking (5-10 minutes). Be sure not to overcook as they will burn.
- Add the vinegar and toss so that all the sprouts are covered with the vinegar. Add the butter and salt and pepper to taste and toss together again.
- Remove from heat and serve.
If you try one of the recipes, let me know! And please share in the comment what one of YOUR favourite holiday dishes is. Happy, healthy eating!